Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TESTIMONY TUESDAY: Practicing What I Preach

Yesterday, I suggested that you use Valentine's Day as an opportunity to get Jesus involved in your personal life by using I Corinthians 13 as a way to gauge whether or not your relationship is functioning the way it ought to.

Of course I couldn't recommend this course of action without trying it myself.

Here are the results:

Last night after watching a little bit of television, I asked my husband if we could sit down and read a chapter from the Bible. His eyes bulged and his neck stiffened a bit. "Which chapter?" and "Why?" he asked. I gently whispered, "I Corinthians 13, you know it is Valentine's Day, isn't?"

I would like to say that old wounds were healed, I would like to say that we are now moving forward and upward but our discussion wasn't as fruitful as I had hoped for. I apologized for sometimes behaving "unseemly" and not always being kind in my longsuffering. But he skirted the issues by repeating that lovely yet awful statement, "You know, that I love you." Which, in translation means "I don't always do what I should and I may never but that doesn't take away from the fact that I love you."

Of course this is not to say that I all good and he's all bad. We both have our shortcomings. While I'm now willing to admit that  I'm not perfect, that I am not the best wife I could be he is not ready to do this yet.

I repeatedly reminded him that I Corinthians says our love should look like this but it look like a mess. He continued to avoid the fact that we don't demonstrate our love the way that we ought to. I think the disparity between our perception of our relationship is because I am actively striving to serve the Lord and he is not.

I was a little disheartened by the fact that he wasn't moved by the word and his lack of interest in investing more into our relationship. Should that move me away from the gospel, should that deter me from striving to loving him the way that the Lord says I should.

No, it should not and I will not let it. Instead, it has inspired me to love him more, to love him harder, until he sees the glory of God in me striving to love him though he fights against the glorious love of God.

Be blessed and please testify about what the outcome was of your discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment