Monday, April 25, 2011

4 Rs Repent, Renew, Restore, and Rplenish: On the Road to Repentance

You know it’s very important to always have your spiritual ears open so that you can hear God speaking to you. I was casually watching the Travel Channel’s Top 21 Caribbean Vacation Destination when He spoke to me. The voiceover was saying something enticing about the pink sands beach in the Bahamas, “This is the place to go if you are looking to renew, restore, replenish.” I murmured within myself “Ahhh…I wish I could go there,” and Lord spoke to my heart saying, “This is what I do; you don’t have to go anywhere.”
That is what he does and what he would like to do for each and every one of us. Of course, the Spirit compelled me to create a 3 Rs series sharing the work the Lord wishes to do in our lives and has done for some of us. Then He spoke to me again, “You must first repent, then I will renew, restore, and replenish.”

Thus the series has become the 4 Rs Repent, Renew, Restore, and Replenish. All of these words are verbs requiring someone to take action. The first R, Repent, requires you (and me) to act.

What does it mean to repent?

Repentance is more than offering an up a mere low and muffled “I’m sorry.” In order to repent you must first feel bad or regret the sins that you have committed against the Lord. Next you must turn from sin and finally you must dedicate yourself and your life to Jesus. Many people don’t think they need to do this because all is well in their life. I’m working, my kids are healthy. Why do I need to repent? Do you think God is showing you mercy for you to live your life any kind of way you want to? In the words of my brother Paul, “God forbid.” The goodness of God is to lead you to repentance, “…despises thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?” Romans 2:4

Is Repentance Important?

Yes, repentance is important. The first sermon that Jesus preached after the death of John the Baptist was a simple yet enduring one, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17 don’t shirk this article off because you’re a believer and you believe you don’t need to repent. We all need to repent on a daily basis. Even if you’re not living in sin, all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Serving God isn’t just about outward gestures, it’s a heart condition and he sees and knows your thoughts and the intents of your heart, Hebrews 4:12. You might say to yourself, it’s not that serious but it is that serious, “who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands and pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully in his heart.” Psalm 24:3-4 In Genesis everyone in the world was destroyed except for eight people because the thoughts of man were continually wicked. Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin? Proverbs 20:9 Only the Lord can cleanse us and redirect our path.

If you believe that you have no sin and need not repent then you are essentially confused about who Jesus died for and why. You are basically saying that you don’t need him. Because he didn’t come for or die for one single righteous person, he died for sinners everywhere like me, “…They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Matthew 9:12-13

Don’t as John the beloved says, deceive yourself by saying you have no sin, just confess it for the Lord is faithful and just to forgive sins, I John 1:8-9

The Blessedness of Forgiveness

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

When I kept silence my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said I will confess my transgression unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of the great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

I will instruct and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with a bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.

Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Psalm 32:1-11



Praying For Forgiveness

If you don’t know what to say or how to say it, look to the Word of God for examples, like Psalm 51. If you don’t have access to the word right now simply say from the heart, Father God in the precious name of Jesus please have mercy on me and forgive me for I have sinned and come short of your glory. Lord, instruct me on how to live righteously because I cannot do it without you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment